THE BELLS OF SUSSEX
  • Home
  • Towers & Bells
  • Frames
  • Founders
  • Contact

Brighton, St Paul

Picture

The Bells

Bell
Weight
Diameter
Nominal
Note
Founder
Cast
Canon
Hanging
1
<5-1-16 cwt
27.63"
1556.5 Hz
G
Mears & Stainbank
1873
Removed
Dead
Bell
Weight
Diameter
Nominal
Note
Founder
Date
Canon
Hanging
Bourdon
<41-1-13 cwt
62.25"
514 Hz
C
Charles & George Mears
1853
Removed
Swing
Bell
Weight
Diameter
Note
Founder
Cast
Canon
Hanging
Old 2
6-0-17 cwt
27.63"
F#
Mears & Stainbank
1873
Yes
Full Circle
Old 3
7-0-2 cwt
28.75"
E
Mears & Stainbank
1873
Yes
Full Circle
Old 4
8-0-3 cwt
30.63"
D
Mears & Stainbank
1873
Yes
Full Circle
Old 5
8-2-1 cwt
35.50"
C
Charles & George Mears
1853​
Yes
Full Circle
Old 6
9-3-8 cwt
36.50"
B
Charles & George Mears
1853
Yes
Full Circle
Old 7
11-0-0 cwt
39.50"
A
Charles & George Mears
1853​
Yes
Full Circle
Old 8
​13-3-10 cwt
42.50"
G
Charles & George Mears
1853​
Yes
Full Circle
The Frame

Jump to:

Recordings of the Bells

Inscriptions

Photographs

Ringing Times and Location

Formerly 8 Bells, 13-3-10 in G 
​
Following the completion of the new tower in 1853, Charles & George Mears of Whitechapel supplied 5 bells which were intended to form a heavy peal of 8 in the key of C. The tuning of these bells were 1-4,8 of 8 (C,B,A,G,C).
However, owing to the Oxford movement, the bells were not free from controversy. When they were being unloaded from the wagon, a passer by viewed the inscription on the tenor, and ran down to the sea front crying "St Paul's has bought some Romish bells." This resulted in a crowd of around 400 people who came to be a nuisance and interfere with the installation. The efforts of the police eventually managed to disperse them all.
The 41cwt tenor features a line from the Catholic hymn Festum Laetitiae "Ave Simplex, Ave Trine". The rest of them also carry a Latin phrase on them.
There is no knowledge on their frame design at this time, but according to the late Rev. David L Cawley, they were hung with quarter wheels. The bells were cast with conventional canons and an inscription formed by pressing stamps into the outer mould.

The 1873 augmentation
The decision was made that the tower would not support a peal of bells of such a weight, and the front 4 bells became the back 4, and 4 new trebles were added. This resulted in a lighter peal of 8 bells in the key of G with a bourdon named
"Big Paul". The new bells were cast at Whitechapel by Mears & Stainbank. Up until this point, the tower was capped with wooden pitched roof since its originally planned stone spire was never added. In this year, the top of the tower was finally completed by adding a gothic wooden lantern with tall louvres and timber spire. As you can imagine, the inside has a fantastic network of timbers beams and supporting structures. The bell frame was either entirely replaced or modified in this year to accommodate all the bells. We will explore it later. 
An Ellacombe apparatus was installed in the SW corner of the tower to enable one ringer to play all the bells at the same time. On the walls are small engraved wooden blocks with their corresponding bell number, together with a hook to hang the tail ends on. Those on the South wall are now gone since the wall panels have been removed. The rope for the bourdon came down between the ropes for the 3 and 4. 
Like the earlier bells, these would have also had conventional canons, and old feature a patron saint on the waist.
Condition of the bells in 1959
It's a wonder what the condition of the tower was like during my predecessor's visit in January 1940. George Elphick only mentions what was there and not their current state, but S. E. Armstrong, then master of the SCACR, paints us a very detailed picture of their condition in 1959.
He quotes "Below the lantern radials is the bell frame, the home of countless hordes of pigeons which have roosted there undisturbed for 40 years. The stronger and more aggressive perch on the sliders under shelter of the bells, and everything is indescribably dirty and desolate. Of the ring, little is visible except a few rotten spokes and two stays, with here and there a bit of mouldering rope looped in a rimless wheel. The eight bells still hang in position, immovable, their shape and almost their size unrecognisable under the accumulated dirt. The bourdon lies wedged helplessly across the frame, the gudgeons having rotted out of the wooden headstock. A good deal of patient and distasteful scraping is required to desipher the inscription which caused so much trouble a hundred years ago." 

This is entirely different today. The belfry has no more than a few sticks and feathers, and far less guano. The bells hang safely and in good order at the base of the lantern. 

Bell ringing at St Pauls

Between 1873 - 1912, a total of 32 peals were rung on these bells:
14 peals of Stedman Triples; 8 of Grandsire Triples; 3 of Superlative Major, and 2 each of Plain Bob and Kent Treble Bob Major.
The ringing room only had one north facing window making ringing fairly dark. 
Ringers would have to walk alongside the organ; up an unlit spiral stair case, and through the ringing room door to be greeted by a few more steps up to floor level. 
Ringing was certainly a challenge here owing to the long draught of rope; a large ringing circle; and the movement of the tower. S E Armstrong explains that ringers he knew that had rung here "say a first-class band was essential, as one poor striker could ruin a touch." The local band progressed no further than Grandsire, and there was a terbulant relationship between the ringers and clergy. The bells soon became unpopular with local businesses due to how loud they were.

The first peal rung on the bells was on November 14th, 1883, after permission was granted from Rev. A. D. Wagner, who just prior put the bells into good order.

The tower ceased affiliation with the SCACR in 1908, at the time there being just 5 members. In November 1914, the bells were rung down for the last time, and the tower abandoned, left to decay. It is unknown why ringing came to an abrupt stop. Possible reasons include the war; the tower becoming increasingly unsafe, or the vicar turned them out following one of their many disputes.
In 1959, most of the leaded panes from the window had blown in; the ceiling was sagging in the center, and the mouldered floor had become very damp. The old visitors book lay coverless, sodden, and almost illegible in a corner.

Below is a complete list of peals rung here:
Peals Rung at St Paul's
From 9 bells to 2
A major alternation took place in 1960, no doubt after Armstrong highlighted the severity of their condition. All except the treble and the bourdon were smashed up in the belfry and chuted over the organ to be sold for scrap. The entire bell frame was dismantled and scraped, though some timbers were retained to be re-used for the "new" frame. #
​
The Bourdon, which was hung for change ringing, was rehung on new fittings for slow-swinging. It has a counterweighted headstock 28.75" tall, and a full wheel 7.5ft in diameter. The canons were removed in this year along with the drilling out of the crown staple. All work was carried out in the tower.

The old treble now hangs for stationary chiming in the SE corner of the tower using an internal clapper. Old timbers were used from the old frame to create a headstock for frame sides for this bell too.
The canons were also removed along with its crown staple. 
A 35 rung ladder is required to reach this bell from the floor of the intermediate chamber. 

Nothing remains of the the old belfry floor, except for the corbels which supported it. This means there is a 29ft foot drop directly beneath the bells making maintenance difficult. 
The rope for the treble now falls through its old rope hole; through a hole in the floor; round a pulley above the organ loft to travel horizontally to a hole in the ceiling at the far north side of the vestry.  

Hurricane of 1987
During the night of October 15th, 1987, a great storm roared over the skies of the UK and 

Frame and fittings
The frame is quite standard. It is made of cast iron and constructed using 8.3.A.h trusses arranged in the 8.3 layout. The pit for bell 3 is shortened to allow access into the belfry, and for the ladder. 
The bells are hung on ball bearings with traditional fittings, and cast iron headstocks. They handle a little heavy after many years without a proper service, but all of them are structurally sound.
The clapper on the tenor is specially designed to accept rubber, or leather, dowels to prevent the clapper from resting on the edge of the bell, giving it more hum. A similar system can be found at Slaugham, St Mary.

Access
The bells are rung from the ground floor with a long, but guided draft. A spiral staircase in the NW corner of the tower takes you up to the belfry. Another series of ladders in the belfry take you out onto the roof.
Most of the fittings have now rusted and will need some TLC in the near future including re-painting.


Visited with Michael F Royalton-Kisch & Ollie E P Watson, 11/07/2026.

​Recordings of the bells:

How the bells are tuned in relation to their nominal, using Simpson's theory.
Picture
Key [measured in cents]:
-99 ~ -90 -89 ~ -80 -79 ~ -70 -69 ~ -60 -59 ~ -50 -49 ~ -40 -39 ~ -30 -29 ~ -20 -19 ~ -10 -9 ~ -0
0 ~ 9 10 ~ 19 20 ~ 29 30 ~ 39 40 ~ 49 50 ~ 59 60 ~ 69 70 ~ 79 80 ~ 89 90 ~ 99+
Bell 1
Hum -  433.5Hz -  A-25
Prime -  678Hz -  E+49
Tierce -  931.5Hz -  Bb-1 (minor 3rd)
Quint -  1348Hz -  E+38
Nominal -  1556.5Hz -  G -12
brightonstpaulone.mp3
File Size: 152 kb
File Type: mp3
Download File

Bourdon
Hum -  141Hz -  Db+30
Prime - 
253.5Hz -  B+45
Tierce - 
312.5Hz -  Eb+8 (minor 3rd)
Quint - 
400Hz -  G+35
Nominal - 
512Hz -  C-37
brightonstpaulbigpaul.mp3
File Size: 268 kb
File Type: mp3
Download File


Inscriptions:

*Underlined text is around the inscription band*

1960 - Present

​1
MEARS & STAINBANK FOUNDERS LONDON 1873
ST . MURIEL

​Bourdon
S . PAULAS REGNANS SINE FINE, AVE SANCTA TRINITAS
C & G MEARS FOUNDERS LONDON 1853

1873 - 1960

1
MEARS & STAINBANK FOUNDERS LONDON 1873
ST . MURIEL
2
MEARS & STAINBANK FOUNDERS LONDON 1873
ST . RAPHAEL
3
MEARS & STAINBANK FOUNDERS LONDON 1873
ST . GABRIEL
​
4
MEARS & STAINBANK FOUNDERS LONDON 1873
ST . MICHAEL
5
S . MATTHOEUS AVE PATER REX CREATOR
C & G MEARS FOUNDERS LONDON 1853
6
S . MARCUS AVE FILI LUX SALVATOR
C & G MEARS FOUNDERS LONDON 1853
7
S . LUCAS AVE PAX ET CHARITAS
C & G MEARS FOUNDERS LONDON 1853
8
S . JOHANNES AVE SIMPLEX AVE TRINE
C & G MEARS FOUNDERS LONDON 1853
Bourdon
S . PAULAS REGNANS SINE FINE, AVE SANCTA TRINITAS
C & G MEARS FOUNDERS LONDON 1853

1853 - 1873

1
S . MATTHOEUS AVE PATER REX CREATOR
C & G MEARS FOUNDERS LONDON 1853
2
S . MARCUS AVE FILI LUX SALVATOR
C & G MEARS FOUNDERS LONDON 1853
3
S . LUCAS AVE PAX ET CHARITAS
C & G MEARS FOUNDERS LONDON 1853
​
4
S . JOHANNES AVE SIMPLEX AVE TRINE
C & G MEARS FOUNDERS LONDON 1853
5
S . PAULAS REGNANS SINE FINE, AVE SANCTA TRINITAS
C & G MEARS FOUNDERS LONDON 1853
Latin translations:
Old 5: S . MATTHOEUS AVE PATER REX CREATOR  -  St Matthew, hail the father, king, creator.
Old 6: S . MARCUS AVE FILI LUX SALVATOR  -  St Mark, hail son, light, saviour.
Old 7: S . LUCAS AVE PAX ET CHARITAS  -  St Luke, hail peace and charity.
Old 8: S . JOHANNES AVE SIMPLEX AVE TRINE  -  St John, hail simple, hail thrice.
Bourdon: S . PAULAS REGNANS SINE FINE, AVE SANCTA TRINITAS  -  St Paul, reigns without end. Hail holy trinity.

​Photographs:

*Click on the images to enlarge them*
Sources:
  • ELPHICK, George P (1970): Sussex Bells & Belfries
  • The Ringing World, Vol* 21, No* 781 (1926): p.148
  • The Builder, Vol* 76 (1897). p.375
  • https://sussexparishchurches.org/church/turners-hill-st-leonard/

​© Kye L Leaver  2026. All rights reserved.

Powered by Create your own unique website with customizable templates.
  • Home
  • Towers & Bells
  • Frames
  • Founders
  • Contact